Skip to main content

Patience is a tissue --- or a cup of milk

And so two year-old Funnygirl tells the five-year-old Princess this morning "You need patience, honey."
Funny how the two year-old gets that.

Patience is hard on a kid. My kids are needless to say, not the best at waiting. The first example is the breakfast table:

"Mommmeeeee! I need my cuppy!"

"I want my Cheerios!"

"Bitie-mans! I need my Bitie-mans!" (translation - vitamins -- which are gummy and look like candy. You'd want one, too.)

Princess, as the oldest has struggled with patience the most. And she has learned the most. She had to be patient when mommy spent weeks in teh hospital with those babies in her belly. She had to be patient when we spent ALOT of time feeding those little rascals. She has had to be patient when the triplets are into danger and I need to run to them instead of clasp that toy necklace around her neck. "But mooooom! Help meeeee!"

She gets it honest. My sister and I are champion whiners and impatient "princesses." How many times have I heard my mother yell "Would you WAIT?!" Or my dad growl, "Quit your whinin'."?

I have now picked up those phrases and say them -- often - daily. Ok, hourly.
However, Princess has learned to be patient in some circumstances. She just gets used to it. An example here again involves mealtime. I am surprised that kid is not dehydrated. Do you have any idea how many times I have fed that child a meal and totally forgot her beverage? Daily.
And about halfway through the meal "Mom, can I have a drink?"
"Yes -- wait a minute."
I get preoccupied with unfinished plates and stubborn two year-olds and crumbs on the floor and dishes in  the sink...and the Princess completes her meal and tries to get a drink on her own. And then I scold her. Yes, bad mom moment coming - beware.
She often gets fed up and tries to help herself. She gets out the milk and her pink princess cup and attempts to fill it -- and spills it. And I begin to snarl.
In hindsight I realize the poor kid just wanted to wash down that super-dry plate full of substance that I try to call "food."
I often comment that she spills a drink everyday. Well, let's look at why. (Read the paragraph above - if you missed the "why." Pay attention here, would you?).

I guess I totally overlook the same requests. When it's new, I respond. When it sounds annoyinngly familiar -- I ignore it. Bad mommy. Bad.
Another example is poor, pitiful Goldie. When Goldengirl throws a tantrum, she cries. Big, raindrop-size tears. The kind that you see on the Puss N'Boots character in all of the Shrek movies (I always think of my golden-haired child when that cat does that).
So I ignore the tantrums. Well, halfway through she screams "I need..a..a..(gulp) tissuuuuuuuuuuuueee."
"Hold on a minute!" I say in frustration.
The "waaah"s continue and the snotting begins. By the time I realize/remember her request, there is snot on her upperlip -- even in her hair. Gross, yes. Am I disgusted at that sight? Yes. So...I respond "What is wrong with you?"
Duh.
"I need a tissue."
I wipe the nose and feel crappy about neglecting that need.
But like the girls, I am learning.
This makes me think about how annoyed God gets when we whine and complain and just can't seem to wait. The difference is, he doesn't yell "Wait a minute!" and then ignore us. We think sometimes that is what He says. I have learned that when we think that is how the God who made us sees us -- then we really have no clue about God's love. Nada.
God loves us so much that He responds when it is BEST for us. But boy do we kick and scream and act like Goldie when it isn't NOW! God has taught me such patience. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over -- and over again. And again.
(sigh).
I hate that lesson. I admit it.
However, I know I am learning it and applying it because I see it. Six or more weeks ago our minivan left us sit in steam and humidity alongside the road 60 miles from home. All four girls were in tow and we were on our way home from North Carolina. We expected to be home around 6 that evening. We left late. We made a couple stops that took forever it seemed and then we took a detour through D.C. and then we got caught in a thunderstorm. And then -- it happened. Just miles past the state line of our home state, the van quit. We were tired and all five females in tow began to cry -- mom included. Why can't we just get home???
I reminded myself (I believe God did - not really me) that it happened not THAT far from home, that almost immediately we found someone to get us home -- who would not have been available to help us if it had happened earlier, and that we were safe -- and that we had just returned from one of the rewarding vacations we could have ever asked for...
So the van went to the shop. Transmission trouble is not a good thing. So no van. No way to get all of our children to church in One vehicle. So the Saturday after the incident the hubby and I talked about what we were going to do. We concluded we needed to be patient and trust God. So immediately after my husband left the room, I began to pray. In literally less than five minutes my husband's cell phone rang. His friend who lives half an hour away called him and said "Hey . I was just thinking of you guys just now. I have a van in my garage I'm not using. Would you want to borrow it?"
Hmmm. Of course!
And so we drove the borrowed van for weeks without air -- in the hot, 95 degree heat. But it was ok. We were waiting on God and He provided. This week we made a deal on a newer van. And the very next day we got the call that our old van was fixed. So now God has provided two vans -- and the funds for both of them -- without hassle or debt. Patience is a tissue, because I can't help but shed a tear when I think about how my God provides for us -- just when you'd think it would be too late.
It never is.

Comments

  1. My two year old is the most impatient person I've met!

    I too can be very impatient - I need to learn more to rely on God and mot myself!

    Great post!
    Following you from Mommy Bloggers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Relationships in Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Boots and Dora. Ricky and Lucy?

Ok. I admit it. I analyze everything. I think too much about things. But I guess that is what writers do. And I really think that is what mommys do. Well, most of us, anyhow... A friend sent me a blog about a mommy's plea with Dora to stop annoying her. It was hilarious. It was so funny that it made me think about returning to blogging. And if you read two blogs back you see why. I have to share with you my thoughts about children's shows and the matrimony of sidekicks. All of these have one thing in common. Realtionships. There's Dora and Boots. Elmo and Zoe. Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Elmo and Dorothy the Fish. There's Blue and Steve. There's Bob and Wendy (as in The Builder). And I could go on and on. And then there's Lucy and Ricky and Lucy and Ethel. My kids have found a new interest in old episodes of "I Love Lucy." I had stated on Facebook that not even Dora or Elmo can keep their attention the way these black and white classics from the 1950s

Bringing Crazy Back

 Gurrrrll....Momma is back. It's been a hot minute. Ok. It's been about 12 years. What's new? These triplets are 15, y'all. FIFTEEN. And big sister is a senior in high school. I blinked.  The truth is, I stopped blogging because in 2012 I fell into a pretty deep pit. I went into a depression that made zero sense at the time and convinced me I was done writing for fun. After a couple years of counsel with Christian professionals, some pretty decent meds and a new grip on who I am as a daughter of Christ, I climbed out of that pit. My new life verse ever since has been Psalm 40:1-2 " I waited patiently for the Lord. He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." And I am not just standing. I have been running. I started literally running right before I turned 40 in 2018. I am working my way up to a half marathon. It's crazy how much fun I have been hav

September

  There’s this darkness trying to overshadow God’s divine plan for me as a parent. In the last five days the enemy has put up road blocks meant to destroy my faith. He allowed a conservative group’s policy to tell me my pregnancies were not necessary but “still valuable.” My heart sunk into my feet as my testimony was challenged. Yet, I got up, dusted off my lap and moved forward with the truth and chose to  let the light shine on it.  In the same week I was told by someone I value that  I was  just not competent  … not able… to do something significant. I got defensive, but inside I believed it was true to the core. I had to wrestle the devil head on with that one. The grip on me was penetrating.  Tonight my heart just aches as a parent because I feel like such a failure… staying true to our foundations is so painfully awkward and almost embarrassing. The enemy got in my head again… whispering how dare I teach women how to parent each week when I have no idea what I’m doing. He told m