Skip to main content

Relationships in Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Boots and Dora. Ricky and Lucy?

Ok. I admit it. I analyze everything. I think too much about things. But I guess that is what writers do. And I really think that is what mommys do. Well, most of us, anyhow...

A friend sent me a blog about a mommy's plea with Dora to stop annoying her. It was hilarious. It was so funny that it made me think about returning to blogging. And if you read two blogs back you see why.

I have to share with you my thoughts about children's shows and the matrimony of sidekicks. All of these have one thing in common. Realtionships. There's Dora and Boots. Elmo and Zoe. Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Elmo and Dorothy the Fish.
There's Blue and Steve. There's Bob and Wendy (as in The Builder). And I could go on and on.
And then there's Lucy and Ricky and Lucy and Ethel.

My kids have found a new interest in old episodes of "I Love Lucy." I had stated on Facebook that not even Dora or Elmo can keep their attention the way these black and white classics from the 1950s do. And I would rather watch Lucy myself than the other more colorful and non-realistic sidekicks. I watched Lucy episodes as a kid, too. I have seen every episode and there is nothing like it on TV anymore. Lucy appeals to a kid because she is one big kid herself. Watching the shows now I see her more as a big brat, but hey-- I still laugh when she dresses up like a hillbilly (it just reminds me of home) and when she tries to hide a dozen eggs in her blouse and dance the tango with Ricky at the same time. It cracks me up. Pardon the pun.

I have to share with you what bugs me about the others. I am not shunning Elmo or Seniorita Dora. I still think they're fine for my kids to wtach. But let's face it, mommies, they are not ideal for us...admit it. You want to slap Mr. Noodle and tell Dora to stuff a burrito in her mouth and shush already.
(Ok, maybe it's just me - please no comments telling me  how mean I am to these pretend creatures.)
Here is my problem with Elmo's World:
Dorothy is always the one with the question. The fish is real, mind you. She doesn't speak. But she has a question. Yes, I know, Elmo is "pretending," but bear with me here. I also think Elmo is not so bright for asking the one clueless person on all of Sesame Street -- Mr. Noodle. First of all, he dresses like a bad act out of the 1940s. He always answers incorrectly and needs prodding from children whom we never see...why doesn't Elmo ask the invisible kids? They know more than this 40-something silent bad-dresser. (sigh). And apparently the "genius" appeal runs in the Noodle family. There's his borther, creatively also known as "Mr. Noodle." And then there's the very blond and quite dippy "Miss Noodle." If I were blond, I would be offended....(sigh). Anyway, it all goes back to Elmo who keeps looking for answers in the wrong places -- repeatedly. And he always chuckles the Elmo chuckle and replies "Aw, Mr. Nooodle!"
I think the name Mr. Noodle says it all, quite frankly.
And then there's our beloved world traveler Dora. Oh, Dora. Could Boots get some credit now and then? What does that monkey in boots really do for her? The "backpack" and "Map" are more helpful than a blue monkey in boots...which I actually get the reason he wears "boots." They hit some pretty heavy terrain on their adventures...that could ruin a monkey's feet...
And then there's Swiper. That pest never gets it does he? Dora and more invisible children yell "Swiper, no swiping!" to which he replies "Aw mannnnnn."
Well, stop it already! Swiper is a bratty kid who just doesn't listen. You tell him over and over...I think proper discipline is needed for that rascal...I think I hav ethe perfect role for Boots. He needs to give Swiper a swift kick...(Ok, again -- no comments for my "mean" remarks toward "pretend" characters. Sigh).
My girls also like to watch Blue's Clues videos. I don't understand why there are two versions of the blue dog. There is the one that talks: "Hey you!" There is also the one that sits idle wagging his tail and giving a faint "r-r-roooo" while Steve -- the ultra-friendly guy in stripes,  does all of the talking. Despite the dual personalities, I think my kids learn more from the nerdy guy and the blue pup than any of the guys/gals mentioned above. I still don't enjoy watching it. I'm a grown-up, you know.
I can't even watch the girly kids videos like Strawberry Shortcake and Tinkerbell. These girls are too chipper (berry girl) or too spunky (tink). I am glad, though, the girls like these instead of Bratz (I know they have dolls which look horrible - but do they have a show?) -- which says it all -- or some of the other programs I shall not mention.
Back to why I love Lucy.
Lucy and Ethel are realistic friends. They laugh together. They fight. They are honest with each other (most of the time), and they are a great team. They are much like the family I have always known to be real. Ricky, however, is the most clueless husband there ever was. How his wife can dress up in some of those get-ups and use the same fake voice and he never knows ....
Don't get me wrong. Lucy is still a brat. She never grew up. But we still love her. So does Ethel. So does Ricky. And we still love our own imperfect families. Even when members don't seem to grow up. That's real to me.
For what ever reason a real person -- even in black and white film -- is more appealing to a kid than a fake one made of fur or pretty colors, contrary to what their creators believe. When I watch Lucy with the kids or my oldest daughter's favorite -- The Cosby Show -- the kids have questions and I can answer them. We talk. We laugh. And we all enjoy it. Dora and Elmo always make it work out and answer the kids' questions for them. And Lucy always has a chuckle and sigh ending  --- but it is something I can relate to -- with them. It's our time. It's special. Don't get me wrong, I stomach a Dora or Sesame Street episode from time to time... but ask yourself -- how many family programs are on TV now that are safe to watch with your kids ages 2-5 without having to flip the channel when something inappropriate comes up in conversation? I thought about this for a while. And I could not think of ONE.
Thank you, Lucy Ricardo for being both "pretend" and real.

Comments

  1. You are not over-thinking in this case. A small part in the failure of our interpersonal relationship is careless parenting on issues including this one.

    I don't mean Elmo and Dora are evil, only that they, like most television shows, should be accompanied by discussion with parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dora and Elmo have NOTHING on Barney. I'm just sayin' . . . LOL.

    My 6 year old recently discovered the old Super Mario Brothers show from the late 80's. As I was watching this with her, I realized that my parents MUST have felt the same way about my shows that I feel about hers. And now I understand completely why.

    Lucy and Ethel had it figured out, IMO! : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bringing Crazy Back

 Gurrrrll....Momma is back. It's been a hot minute. Ok. It's been about 12 years. What's new? These triplets are 15, y'all. FIFTEEN. And big sister is a senior in high school. I blinked.  The truth is, I stopped blogging because in 2012 I fell into a pretty deep pit. I went into a depression that made zero sense at the time and convinced me I was done writing for fun. After a couple years of counsel with Christian professionals, some pretty decent meds and a new grip on who I am as a daughter of Christ, I climbed out of that pit. My new life verse ever since has been Psalm 40:1-2 " I waited patiently for the Lord. He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." And I am not just standing. I have been running. I started literally running right before I turned 40 in 2018. I am working my way up to a half marathon. It's crazy how much fun I have been hav

September

  There’s this darkness trying to overshadow God’s divine plan for me as a parent. In the last five days the enemy has put up road blocks meant to destroy my faith. He allowed a conservative group’s policy to tell me my pregnancies were not necessary but “still valuable.” My heart sunk into my feet as my testimony was challenged. Yet, I got up, dusted off my lap and moved forward with the truth and chose to  let the light shine on it.  In the same week I was told by someone I value that  I was  just not competent  … not able… to do something significant. I got defensive, but inside I believed it was true to the core. I had to wrestle the devil head on with that one. The grip on me was penetrating.  Tonight my heart just aches as a parent because I feel like such a failure… staying true to our foundations is so painfully awkward and almost embarrassing. The enemy got in my head again… whispering how dare I teach women how to parent each week when I have no idea what I’m doing. He told m