Skip to main content

Temper, temper...Would you just listen?

I am convinced that two year-olds are the most selfish, mean-spirited people on the face of the earth. The triplets will turn three in less than two months. But three, as I recall with Princess, isn't a whole lot better. Age four -- that's when they act like tiny adults.
Sometimes I think we retreat to terrible twos and selfish threes even when we're much, much older.
I have gone through temperment phases.
Haven't we all?
I have found that as the mom of three soon-to-be three year-olds that my temper had shortened quite a bit. I was getting a lot of headaches and then one day it occurred to me why. I was spending so much time raising my voice, which no doubt raised my blood pressure and heart rate. No wonder my head pounded!
Raising one two or three year-old is a challenege. We got through it with Princess...who faired quite well considering her circumstances (she became a sister of triplets halfway through age 2...).
Unless you are a triplet mom or worked in the daycare industry -- you can only imagine the terrors of THREE selfish little people.
We have several baby dolls in our home. Princess -- the first grandchild -- was spoiled with every type of baby doll under the sun. But everyday these girls fight over one baby doll. They label them by color of baby's clothing.
For two days straight I heard "I want the blue baby!"
"I had the blue baby first!"
"Moooomm...she took my blue baby!!!(tears and screams follow)"

Days passed and a new trend emerged.
"Mommy, she took my purple baby."
"No! It's MY purple baby!"
"Waaaaaahhhh!"

Why do these girls do this? Because they want what someone else has.

And then comes the next frustrating part of this scenario. Listening.
I tell them to share. Take turns. Yada Yada Yada.
But they don't hear it -- or they don't want to hear it.
A common thing around here is closing doors on one another. We have child proof door knob handles on the exterior part of doors. So the girls run in a room where the door is open, close the door and the next child cannot get in. Hence screaming. And then I respond the same way:
"HOW many times have I told you - 'do not shut your sister out of the room!'? Keep the door open!!!"

That's interesting when you look back at that scenario and read it. Ever wanted something someone else had? You whine and complain but you don't take instruction very well?  And then you get mad and close the door on everyone. Wow.
I've done that.
BUt big people somehow struggle about when there is a time to be angry and when there is a time to be still.
We all get to a boiling point. The children drive me absolutely crazy and by 5:30 p.m. each day I feel a growl rise up in my gut and fly out of my mouth. WHY DON'T THEY LISTEN TO ME???
How many times, I wonder, does God want to shout from heaven at us -- after He tries to tell us to do the right thing over and over, and over and over and over again --
I think there should be a way for moms to get paid for how many times they use the same line evryday. My most often used pharses:
"Stop it!"
"WHAT did I tell you?"
"What are YOU doing?"
"Do you want a spanking?"
"No hitting!"
"NO."
"I said NO."
"Do I need to call Daddy?"
"That's it! I've had it!"
"Sit DOWN!"
"Stop whining at me!"
"Can you wait ONE minute?"
"Where is your father?"
"What is your sister into?"
"Get out of there!"
"You're in for it now!"
*****Daddy come home...
"(Husband's name). I'm going for a walk."

Sigh.
That is where my anger exists. Otherwise I let it pass.
There was a time the President made me mad. Now I just roll my eyes and know it's pointless  to whine about him. God will take care of it. I used to get angry when people insisted on saying there is no God. That still makes me angry, but I know God will take care of that too. My anger used to stem from people letting me down repeatedly. I now know it is NOT about me. God will take care of it. I used to get angry when people were selfish with their time. But I know better that God's timing is perfect. I once had uncontrollable anger about Christians doing stupid stuff when they knew better -- but God will deal with them, it's not my job to get all worked up.
So now, as I struggle with two year -olds being terrible and a Princess in kindergarten (whom I spend way too much time worrying about), I ask myself every morning, "Why can't I let God take care of my kids?" In other words, "Why can't I let HIM mold the situation before I let it consume me to exhaustion, sickness and emotional meltdown?"
I can. But I must be willing.
Because I know He can do all of the things above, and I know He can lead me to silence when it is necessary -- He just showed me recently how that one works. He can calm me. I just have to LISTEN. How hard it is to listen when you want it your way...Just like my kids, I sometimes want to do it MY way. I don't want to be selfish.
Change my heart, O God. Make it ever new. Change my heart O God, make it more like YOU.

While I will still no doubt get angry, I will pause first. Doe sthat mean I will stop yelling at my kids? I will raise my voice, I know it. Sometimes we need a shout here and there. Let's be cautious. Let's not over react. Trust me on this one. It only gets worse from there.
Speaking of yelling, I hear two selfish little people making some big noises...
"What are you doing?" I yell...
"Nothing..." says Funny Girl.
(sighhhh). Let the games begin.
Here comes momma!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relationships in Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Boots and Dora. Ricky and Lucy?

Ok. I admit it. I analyze everything. I think too much about things. But I guess that is what writers do. And I really think that is what mommys do. Well, most of us, anyhow... A friend sent me a blog about a mommy's plea with Dora to stop annoying her. It was hilarious. It was so funny that it made me think about returning to blogging. And if you read two blogs back you see why. I have to share with you my thoughts about children's shows and the matrimony of sidekicks. All of these have one thing in common. Realtionships. There's Dora and Boots. Elmo and Zoe. Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Elmo and Dorothy the Fish. There's Blue and Steve. There's Bob and Wendy (as in The Builder). And I could go on and on. And then there's Lucy and Ricky and Lucy and Ethel. My kids have found a new interest in old episodes of "I Love Lucy." I had stated on Facebook that not even Dora or Elmo can keep their attention the way these black and white classics from the 1950s

Bringing Crazy Back

 Gurrrrll....Momma is back. It's been a hot minute. Ok. It's been about 12 years. What's new? These triplets are 15, y'all. FIFTEEN. And big sister is a senior in high school. I blinked.  The truth is, I stopped blogging because in 2012 I fell into a pretty deep pit. I went into a depression that made zero sense at the time and convinced me I was done writing for fun. After a couple years of counsel with Christian professionals, some pretty decent meds and a new grip on who I am as a daughter of Christ, I climbed out of that pit. My new life verse ever since has been Psalm 40:1-2 " I waited patiently for the Lord. He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." And I am not just standing. I have been running. I started literally running right before I turned 40 in 2018. I am working my way up to a half marathon. It's crazy how much fun I have been hav

September

  There’s this darkness trying to overshadow God’s divine plan for me as a parent. In the last five days the enemy has put up road blocks meant to destroy my faith. He allowed a conservative group’s policy to tell me my pregnancies were not necessary but “still valuable.” My heart sunk into my feet as my testimony was challenged. Yet, I got up, dusted off my lap and moved forward with the truth and chose to  let the light shine on it.  In the same week I was told by someone I value that  I was  just not competent  … not able… to do something significant. I got defensive, but inside I believed it was true to the core. I had to wrestle the devil head on with that one. The grip on me was penetrating.  Tonight my heart just aches as a parent because I feel like such a failure… staying true to our foundations is so painfully awkward and almost embarrassing. The enemy got in my head again… whispering how dare I teach women how to parent each week when I have no idea what I’m doing. He told m