Skip to main content

Pause the Clause

 I am not ready for Christmas. I am sure my family is so tired of hearing me say it. I say it even though I am 90 percent finished with shopping. My tree is decorated. Most of my Christmas cards are out. 

But I keep focusing on the fact that it’s 10 days until Christmas and I feel so rushed. And so am fixated on what has not been accomplished . We have not baked one cookie. I have wrapped nothing. ( I so loathe wrapping). I know these things will get done in time. They always do. 

I’ve come to realize I am most frustrated because of missing the experience of the Christmas season. It’s just not as fun as it was 10, 15 years ago. My kids are teens and their Christmas list is very specific — complete with links to stores. I ask myself, why even wrap the stuff? They know exactly what they are getting. They get less stuff ( less wrapping!!! Yay!), but more expensive (boo.). 

I haven’t watched one Christmas movie in its entirety. I haven’t driven the kids to gaze at lights. I haven’t attended one Christmas musical performance. My girls wanted me to attend the school elementary program for fun. My response was I have zero kids in the elementary program. Why would I want to do that? I probably should have gone. 

I feel sad because Christmas the last couple years has felt like something I need to get through. I have things I need to buy and things I want to do “after Christmas.” Because of the expense and time involved I am so wrapped up ( pardon the pun) in the duties of it all. 

December has been difficult again this year. Last year our household started the month with covid. And my mom had a stroke Dec 20. 

This year we have had repeated car issues. All three vehicles have been broken down. One hit a deer. And I smacked into our van with a borrowed vehicle. Sigh. It just never ends. I’ve been dealing with some health issues and the girls seem busier and more stressed than ever. 

My response to all of this is to pause Christmas. I wish like crazy God could grant us a bonus week in December this year. Or that we could hit pause until I’m ready. Until I feel merry and bright. 

I realize this is just the season we’re in. There will be brighter seasons in years to come as we welcome sons in law and grandchildren. Honestly that is my root issue. Time has gone way too quickly. No more toys. No more Santa. No more eager little girls in zippered pajamas sitting behind the baby gate Christmas morning ready to tear into presents. That’s over now. Subconsciously it has stolen my joy and I’ve chosen to let the “busy” distract my grief. I wish I could’ve paused those Christmas pasts… enjoyed them longer than a blink of an eye. 

I am praying I can relish more in the true meaning of Christmas these next 9 days. I am praying for soaking up the season of our life where teenagers want to sleep in, get cash and eat me out of the house. I will miss these days, too. So I am going to hit pause and thank God for this time before it is also gone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No longer holding it together -- on the bathroom floor

 I recently wrote a column for Mom Life Today, a Christian moms' platform entitled, "I Cried in the Shower Last Night." The column spoke of my grief surrounding the impending high school graduation of my triplet daughters:  https://momlifetoday.com/grief-when-children-graduate-high-school/ Tonight I found myself in tears in my bathroom again. This, however, was different. ( To be quite honest, I am not sure what it is with me and closing the bathroom door and being real with my emotions....) I am also going to honestly say that I have been toying with many ideas to write in this blog recently, only to abruptly change my mind because I realized my motives were too emotional. Being brutally honest here -- the emotions were anger. The Holy Spirit was quick but patient to show me those blogs were unnecessary  and not exactly beneficial for my readers. I do not want this blog to be a place to vent or air my dirty laundry. Oh, but there IS laundry. The "loads," I have...

Moving on: Hauling the hurts in your U-haul

  There are many joys in motherhood just as there are hurts.  When we are in the thick of it, I think we tend to dwell in the latter.  For longer than I care to admit, the hurt has not come  from my own family. I tend to dwell on hurts from those who are no longer in our lives but choose to whisper about us in huddles. It hurts. Whether it is about one of my daughters. My husband. And sometimes even if it is about me.  It hurts. It especially hurts when it is those in the Christian community. We can "Matthew 18:15-20" until we are blue in the face. Sometimes, it just continues.... It's been about two years of hearing from others how the name of someone or all of us in my household has been dragged through the mud because of misunderstanding. Only one side of a story is often told. And that is the story that has wings.    We made attempts at reconciliation in all incidents. Our family is not perfect. We each had our moments of not handling matters grace...

Relationships in Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Boots and Dora. Ricky and Lucy?

Ok. I admit it. I analyze everything. I think too much about things. But I guess that is what writers do. And I really think that is what mommys do. Well, most of us, anyhow... A friend sent me a blog about a mommy's plea with Dora to stop annoying her. It was hilarious. It was so funny that it made me think about returning to blogging. And if you read two blogs back you see why. I have to share with you my thoughts about children's shows and the matrimony of sidekicks. All of these have one thing in common. Realtionships. There's Dora and Boots. Elmo and Zoe. Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Elmo and Dorothy the Fish. There's Blue and Steve. There's Bob and Wendy (as in The Builder). And I could go on and on. And then there's Lucy and Ricky and Lucy and Ethel. My kids have found a new interest in old episodes of "I Love Lucy." I had stated on Facebook that not even Dora or Elmo can keep their attention the way these black and white classics from the 1950s...