Skip to main content

Setting Up Camp

 There's that overly used saying, "It takes a village."

Well, as I navigate raising three 17 -year-olds and an almost-20 year-old in college, the village is more like a small camp. I'm not talking cult-like camps. I'm talking a small gathering of tents with occupants who sit by the fire and listen and pray.

This is not literal.

I don't like to camp. (Camp fire smell in my hair. Ew.)

This is just the terminology with which I came up. 

Teenagers don't like anyone in their business. Especially mom and dad. If you're fortunate, they will invite you into their business because they know you will pray for them. They also hope you will give them direction. And they often want you to tell them everything will go just the way they want it and you will also tell them to do what they want to do even if they know it is not what they should do.

Did you follow that trail through the woods?

I have teenage girls. Three of the four of them are rather forthcoming with what is happening in their world. Another is Miss Shrug Her Shoulders. I often get an "eh"when I ask "how are things?"

I have to read her body language and her tone to get an idea what is happening in her life. I don't find out details necessarily, but I can tell when there is a smoke signal lit for SOS. 

My go-to method has and always will be prayer. Constant, intentional prayer without ceasing. 

Sometimes, I have to call in the troops...er...the campers.

Without going into massive details, I have folks I text and ask to pray. I don't divulge my teen's deepest fears or every miniscule fact. Depending on the kid, I know what other specific adults in her life care deeply enough about her to pray for her. The girls do no know who these folks have been. Some have shifted over the years as their roles in the girls' lives have shifted. Some have been constant. 

And the adult praying for child one may not get prayer requests for child two and three and four. Or whatever. There are people God has placed in my daughters' lives who I see breathing life into them. Sunday school teachers. Coaches. Aunts. Grandparents. Mom friends. Youth leaders. 

They are the people who tend to get the "will you support me?" mail for fundraisers and missions opportunities. They may get asked to write reference letters or to make recommendations in our daughters' favor.

They are invested. I have been that person for a number of young people over the years. Many of them have grown up and gotten married and now have children of their own. And a couple of those "kids" have mentored my kids. 

Today I was especially thankful for my camp for one of my kids. She was overwhelmed with a decision. She was leaning toward fear and unknowns. She was not really keen on my encouragement or my husband's. So we both prayed. And I called on a very small number of campers. By the end of the day, I knew each one of them lifted her to the throne. And when I least expected it, she had made a decision.

The greatest part of this was not only the support of the people she did not know was praying. God had sent a crew of her peers to encourage her as we prayed. Those young people helped her to see her capabilities. 

Thank God for those who "camp out" with us.

If you don't have camper people, ask God to find them for you. He will answer. 

 And kids, if you're reading this, don't ever be afraid or embarrassed that your mom asks someone else to go to the throne on your behalf. No one needs to know all the "tea" in your life. It sure is nice, though, when someone is willing to pour out a request for courage, hope, safety or love on your behalf. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No longer holding it together -- on the bathroom floor

 I recently wrote a column for Mom Life Today, a Christian moms' platform entitled, "I Cried in the Shower Last Night." The column spoke of my grief surrounding the impending high school graduation of my triplet daughters:  https://momlifetoday.com/grief-when-children-graduate-high-school/ Tonight I found myself in tears in my bathroom again. This, however, was different. ( To be quite honest, I am not sure what it is with me and closing the bathroom door and being real with my emotions....) I am also going to honestly say that I have been toying with many ideas to write in this blog recently, only to abruptly change my mind because I realized my motives were too emotional. Being brutally honest here -- the emotions were anger. The Holy Spirit was quick but patient to show me those blogs were unnecessary  and not exactly beneficial for my readers. I do not want this blog to be a place to vent or air my dirty laundry. Oh, but there IS laundry. The "loads," I have...

Moving on: Hauling the hurts in your U-haul

  There are many joys in motherhood just as there are hurts.  When we are in the thick of it, I think we tend to dwell in the latter.  For longer than I care to admit, the hurt has not come  from my own family. I tend to dwell on hurts from those who are no longer in our lives but choose to whisper about us in huddles. It hurts. Whether it is about one of my daughters. My husband. And sometimes even if it is about me.  It hurts. It especially hurts when it is those in the Christian community. We can "Matthew 18:15-20" until we are blue in the face. Sometimes, it just continues.... It's been about two years of hearing from others how the name of someone or all of us in my household has been dragged through the mud because of misunderstanding. Only one side of a story is often told. And that is the story that has wings.    We made attempts at reconciliation in all incidents. Our family is not perfect. We each had our moments of not handling matters grace...

Relationships in Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Boots and Dora. Ricky and Lucy?

Ok. I admit it. I analyze everything. I think too much about things. But I guess that is what writers do. And I really think that is what mommys do. Well, most of us, anyhow... A friend sent me a blog about a mommy's plea with Dora to stop annoying her. It was hilarious. It was so funny that it made me think about returning to blogging. And if you read two blogs back you see why. I have to share with you my thoughts about children's shows and the matrimony of sidekicks. All of these have one thing in common. Realtionships. There's Dora and Boots. Elmo and Zoe. Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Elmo and Dorothy the Fish. There's Blue and Steve. There's Bob and Wendy (as in The Builder). And I could go on and on. And then there's Lucy and Ricky and Lucy and Ethel. My kids have found a new interest in old episodes of "I Love Lucy." I had stated on Facebook that not even Dora or Elmo can keep their attention the way these black and white classics from the 1950s...