Skip to main content

Pause the Clause

 I am not ready for Christmas. I am sure my family is so tired of hearing me say it. I say it even though I am 90 percent finished with shopping. My tree is decorated. Most of my Christmas cards are out. 

But I keep focusing on the fact that it’s 10 days until Christmas and I feel so rushed. And so am fixated on what has not been accomplished . We have not baked one cookie. I have wrapped nothing. ( I so loathe wrapping). I know these things will get done in time. They always do. 

I’ve come to realize I am most frustrated because of missing the experience of the Christmas season. It’s just not as fun as it was 10, 15 years ago. My kids are teens and their Christmas list is very specific — complete with links to stores. I ask myself, why even wrap the stuff? They know exactly what they are getting. They get less stuff ( less wrapping!!! Yay!), but more expensive (boo.). 

I haven’t watched one Christmas movie in its entirety. I haven’t driven the kids to gaze at lights. I haven’t attended one Christmas musical performance. My girls wanted me to attend the school elementary program for fun. My response was I have zero kids in the elementary program. Why would I want to do that? I probably should have gone. 

I feel sad because Christmas the last couple years has felt like something I need to get through. I have things I need to buy and things I want to do “after Christmas.” Because of the expense and time involved I am so wrapped up ( pardon the pun) in the duties of it all. 

December has been difficult again this year. Last year our household started the month with covid. And my mom had a stroke Dec 20. 

This year we have had repeated car issues. All three vehicles have been broken down. One hit a deer. And I smacked into our van with a borrowed vehicle. Sigh. It just never ends. I’ve been dealing with some health issues and the girls seem busier and more stressed than ever. 

My response to all of this is to pause Christmas. I wish like crazy God could grant us a bonus week in December this year. Or that we could hit pause until I’m ready. Until I feel merry and bright. 

I realize this is just the season we’re in. There will be brighter seasons in years to come as we welcome sons in law and grandchildren. Honestly that is my root issue. Time has gone way too quickly. No more toys. No more Santa. No more eager little girls in zippered pajamas sitting behind the baby gate Christmas morning ready to tear into presents. That’s over now. Subconsciously it has stolen my joy and I’ve chosen to let the “busy” distract my grief. I wish I could’ve paused those Christmas pasts… enjoyed them longer than a blink of an eye. 

I am praying I can relish more in the true meaning of Christmas these next 9 days. I am praying for soaking up the season of our life where teenagers want to sleep in, get cash and eat me out of the house. I will miss these days, too. So I am going to hit pause and thank God for this time before it is also gone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relationships in Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Boots and Dora. Ricky and Lucy?

Ok. I admit it. I analyze everything. I think too much about things. But I guess that is what writers do. And I really think that is what mommys do. Well, most of us, anyhow... A friend sent me a blog about a mommy's plea with Dora to stop annoying her. It was hilarious. It was so funny that it made me think about returning to blogging. And if you read two blogs back you see why. I have to share with you my thoughts about children's shows and the matrimony of sidekicks. All of these have one thing in common. Realtionships. There's Dora and Boots. Elmo and Zoe. Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Elmo and Dorothy the Fish. There's Blue and Steve. There's Bob and Wendy (as in The Builder). And I could go on and on. And then there's Lucy and Ricky and Lucy and Ethel. My kids have found a new interest in old episodes of "I Love Lucy." I had stated on Facebook that not even Dora or Elmo can keep their attention the way these black and white classics from the 1950s

Bringing Crazy Back

 Gurrrrll....Momma is back. It's been a hot minute. Ok. It's been about 12 years. What's new? These triplets are 15, y'all. FIFTEEN. And big sister is a senior in high school. I blinked.  The truth is, I stopped blogging because in 2012 I fell into a pretty deep pit. I went into a depression that made zero sense at the time and convinced me I was done writing for fun. After a couple years of counsel with Christian professionals, some pretty decent meds and a new grip on who I am as a daughter of Christ, I climbed out of that pit. My new life verse ever since has been Psalm 40:1-2 " I waited patiently for the Lord. He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." And I am not just standing. I have been running. I started literally running right before I turned 40 in 2018. I am working my way up to a half marathon. It's crazy how much fun I have been hav

September

  There’s this darkness trying to overshadow God’s divine plan for me as a parent. In the last five days the enemy has put up road blocks meant to destroy my faith. He allowed a conservative group’s policy to tell me my pregnancies were not necessary but “still valuable.” My heart sunk into my feet as my testimony was challenged. Yet, I got up, dusted off my lap and moved forward with the truth and chose to  let the light shine on it.  In the same week I was told by someone I value that  I was  just not competent  … not able… to do something significant. I got defensive, but inside I believed it was true to the core. I had to wrestle the devil head on with that one. The grip on me was penetrating.  Tonight my heart just aches as a parent because I feel like such a failure… staying true to our foundations is so painfully awkward and almost embarrassing. The enemy got in my head again… whispering how dare I teach women how to parent each week when I have no idea what I’m doing. He told m