Skip to main content

Hurt People Hurt People

 The triplets and I enjoy watching shows like Law and Order and Dateline. There’s something about figuring out the who is the bad guy and seeing him put to justice. 

In my years as a reporter I was always intrigued by court cases, police reports and affidavits we would have to read and put into print. I just wanted to know why they did what they did. And I then I wanted to see justice. 

I’ve been following the Idaho college murders. Now that a suspect has been caught, I’ve continued to read about it. What was his motive if he is in fact guilty? And if he is guilty I pray God will make it clear and that he is served the ultimate penalty.

I feel that way as a parent. In all of the 13 years my kids have been in school they have faced relationship challenges. Mean kids. Bullies. Brats. Call them what you want. I once heard someone say it is not a bully problem it is a sin  problem. My internal response was, no kidding. Bullying someone is sin. 

Over the years the childhood challenges have changed from someone simply not allowing my child to get out of her seat on the school bus to teenage gossip and petty attitudes. 

I’ve learned throughout the years that as much as I want to drop kick mean kids and would love for my kid to haul off with a good left hook in response, that we ultimately have to try pause and ask why this kid is being a jerk. Imagine where he or she is coming from. Most of the time the kid giving the problem has his or own problem at home or elsewhere in his or her life that we may or may not know about. I often have thought, “well that kid is just spoiled.” Maybe that is true. Is it her fault, though, that she was raised that way and being spoiled was ingrained into who she is? No, it’s not. So do we go slap the parents instead? Back hand the ones who failed to keep their marriage together and pulled their kid in two directions? 

Of course not. As frustrated as people make us, we can’t go into super duper defense mode and attack people. I’ve learned this the hard way. Mama bears often cone out of the cave growling and salivating when someone even smirks at her cub. I always disliked the term mama bear. (But that is for another blog.  ) I’ve taught the girls — over time, mind you- that we have to consider where someone is coming from. It’s become tongue in cheek in our house to say “ hurt people hurt people.” We joke about it when someone is a jerk. It is the truth. If we could investigate the bullies’ lives the way the fbi investigates criminals, I think we’d feel better about probable cause.

 And then there is the punishment. It sucks when  a kid gets away with being mean to your kid. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wanted to knock on a kid’s door, pull him out by his ear and give him the what-what. I’ve fought for discipline on higher levels. I don’t always win  and that is so frustrating.

 We. Want. Justice. 

So what have I learned from dealing with “ the bad guys” in our daughters’ lives? We must pause and look through the lens of Jesus. And we have to trust that He WILL deal with their actions in His way and His time. I have seen it happen. There have been kids who continued to hurt kids other than my own. And after repeat offenses, their justice came for them. The hardest part is when we express our concern and the kid erupts into an even larger monster left unchecked. That monster then gets caught—- but at the expense of a new victim. This is SO frustrating . 

Parents, listen up. We need to be as wise as serpents and gentle as doves. Teach your kids to recognize the poor behavior and respond by pausing. That does not mean they are to be doormats. Let them defend one another and their faith in a firm response. It’s ok to teach them to defend themselves if things get intense. Teach them to have integrity and honesty — even if they stand alone and no one else believes them. We as parents need to be watchful and aware of what our kids are facing. But please remember we need to protect without being a helicopter. Our kids need to experience hurt. And it’s ok to expect justice. When it does not come, we have to remember God is the ultimate Prosecutor. 

Keep open communication with your child. Keep communication with your school staff.  Ask God to help you have compassion for the other kid. This will keep you in check and help you not to lose your crap. Pray for truth and justice. 

My girls love to watch those crime shows because they, too, want to figure it out. They want the bad guy caught. That’s tv. But in real life hurt people hurt people. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relationships in Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Boots and Dora. Ricky and Lucy?

Ok. I admit it. I analyze everything. I think too much about things. But I guess that is what writers do. And I really think that is what mommys do. Well, most of us, anyhow... A friend sent me a blog about a mommy's plea with Dora to stop annoying her. It was hilarious. It was so funny that it made me think about returning to blogging. And if you read two blogs back you see why. I have to share with you my thoughts about children's shows and the matrimony of sidekicks. All of these have one thing in common. Realtionships. There's Dora and Boots. Elmo and Zoe. Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Elmo and Dorothy the Fish. There's Blue and Steve. There's Bob and Wendy (as in The Builder). And I could go on and on. And then there's Lucy and Ricky and Lucy and Ethel. My kids have found a new interest in old episodes of "I Love Lucy." I had stated on Facebook that not even Dora or Elmo can keep their attention the way these black and white classics from the 1950s

Bringing Crazy Back

 Gurrrrll....Momma is back. It's been a hot minute. Ok. It's been about 12 years. What's new? These triplets are 15, y'all. FIFTEEN. And big sister is a senior in high school. I blinked.  The truth is, I stopped blogging because in 2012 I fell into a pretty deep pit. I went into a depression that made zero sense at the time and convinced me I was done writing for fun. After a couple years of counsel with Christian professionals, some pretty decent meds and a new grip on who I am as a daughter of Christ, I climbed out of that pit. My new life verse ever since has been Psalm 40:1-2 " I waited patiently for the Lord. He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." And I am not just standing. I have been running. I started literally running right before I turned 40 in 2018. I am working my way up to a half marathon. It's crazy how much fun I have been hav

September

  There’s this darkness trying to overshadow God’s divine plan for me as a parent. In the last five days the enemy has put up road blocks meant to destroy my faith. He allowed a conservative group’s policy to tell me my pregnancies were not necessary but “still valuable.” My heart sunk into my feet as my testimony was challenged. Yet, I got up, dusted off my lap and moved forward with the truth and chose to  let the light shine on it.  In the same week I was told by someone I value that  I was  just not competent  … not able… to do something significant. I got defensive, but inside I believed it was true to the core. I had to wrestle the devil head on with that one. The grip on me was penetrating.  Tonight my heart just aches as a parent because I feel like such a failure… staying true to our foundations is so painfully awkward and almost embarrassing. The enemy got in my head again… whispering how dare I teach women how to parent each week when I have no idea what I’m doing. He told m