Skip to main content

Hugs from the driveway

I have a job where I teach parenting classes. I teach relationship classes. And some days I really believe that I suck at both areas.

Without going into details, I have had a rotten two to three weeks. I am a sensitive person (which I truly dislike about myself). So when everything dumps on me, I eventually melt down. The more it rains on me, the more times I melt. 

My oldest daughter has a list in her locker that says "days since I cried." There was time this school year she had zero. 

These last few days, I can relate, Zero.

Today a doctor asked me, "So how are you?" and without control at all on my part, those stupid tears came into my eyes. My bottom lip quivered. 

"I'm ok," I said. He replied something along the lines that life is hard,

I feel like I fail when I melt down in front of my kids. I have had moments the last couple weeks where I get angry and snap out loud about my internal frustrations. I have stomped out of the house in the dark and declared I needed to go for a walk. (I don't recommend this unless you have lights attached to you.)

I have cried in the van while driving to and from places. I have apologized profusely to them.

This was all since Thursday. Today is Monday.

I have to sometimes take a step back and think, what would I tell my clients if they just described this scenario? I would tell them that your children see you as human, They need to. You can't hide everything from them. On the flip side, you can't dump every detail on them. I was a child who was dumped on. I knew way too much as a child. I carried my family's burdens with me everywhere (I still do). Because of that, I am now frightened to do the same to my kids. They do not need to carry mom's issues.

If this is you in any form, know this: God has allowed you and I to face the scenarios of our past and present for a purpose, We are strengthened by His will. I would not be a half-decent consultant in my office if I had a perfect upbringing. We just have to draw lines as to where we let that past influence creep in on us. It can help us if we don't let it wreck us,

Instead of dwelling on that long list of things I felt I did wrong the last few days, I need to think about how I handled scenarios correctly. More than once I told them I wish I had all the answers. I told them the enemy (Satan) likes to cut us down to defeat our purpose in life. I then told them He never wins because we have Jesus. I prayed for my kids this week -- both privately and one on one with those that especially needed it. I hugged them. I told them I was proud of them. I asked them to forgive me for my faults and sometimes poor examples. 

I have to also remind myself that the good stuff I did is working. The most meaningful response came on Friday. I decided to go for a quick morning walk as they were going to school. My one daughter had not really opened up to me much lately. I often wondered if she was upset with me or just trying to avoid me. As I walked out the end of the drive. I heard her 15 year-old voice yell "Mommy!" I turned around. She said it again. "Mommy!" and she jumped into my arms for a hug. I was not prepared and nearly fell over. I squeezed her extra tightly.She said to me, "I thought maybe you needed a hug today."

I did.

I really did,

I then went about my walk, tears in my eyes, thanking God for the hard times, It was like a hug from God Himself.

How quickly we forget.

Today I had another hard morning. My husband happened to be working from home,. I know he is stressed and I must drive him crazy. I try not to bother him much.

 I came home after texting him how hard it has been. He was there waiting at the door. All he did was open his arms. I cried very hard into his chest. He then prayed out loud for me. 

Isn’t that like God? He’s there waiting to hug us as we walk out into our journey. And He’s there to embrace us when we come home. We do the same thing for our kids, don’t we? Let us not forget we are here for a purpose. 


Wow, God.

Thank you, Thank you for the hard times.,

Mommas, look for the good. Even if you don't get it in a physical hug, look for the ways God hugs you in your hardest moments. Look at the positive ways you parent. It's there. You got this.,

He's got this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relationships in Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Boots and Dora. Ricky and Lucy?

Ok. I admit it. I analyze everything. I think too much about things. But I guess that is what writers do. And I really think that is what mommys do. Well, most of us, anyhow... A friend sent me a blog about a mommy's plea with Dora to stop annoying her. It was hilarious. It was so funny that it made me think about returning to blogging. And if you read two blogs back you see why. I have to share with you my thoughts about children's shows and the matrimony of sidekicks. All of these have one thing in common. Realtionships. There's Dora and Boots. Elmo and Zoe. Elmo and Mr. Noodle. Elmo and Dorothy the Fish. There's Blue and Steve. There's Bob and Wendy (as in The Builder). And I could go on and on. And then there's Lucy and Ricky and Lucy and Ethel. My kids have found a new interest in old episodes of "I Love Lucy." I had stated on Facebook that not even Dora or Elmo can keep their attention the way these black and white classics from the 1950s

Bringing Crazy Back

 Gurrrrll....Momma is back. It's been a hot minute. Ok. It's been about 12 years. What's new? These triplets are 15, y'all. FIFTEEN. And big sister is a senior in high school. I blinked.  The truth is, I stopped blogging because in 2012 I fell into a pretty deep pit. I went into a depression that made zero sense at the time and convinced me I was done writing for fun. After a couple years of counsel with Christian professionals, some pretty decent meds and a new grip on who I am as a daughter of Christ, I climbed out of that pit. My new life verse ever since has been Psalm 40:1-2 " I waited patiently for the Lord. He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." And I am not just standing. I have been running. I started literally running right before I turned 40 in 2018. I am working my way up to a half marathon. It's crazy how much fun I have been hav

September

  There’s this darkness trying to overshadow God’s divine plan for me as a parent. In the last five days the enemy has put up road blocks meant to destroy my faith. He allowed a conservative group’s policy to tell me my pregnancies were not necessary but “still valuable.” My heart sunk into my feet as my testimony was challenged. Yet, I got up, dusted off my lap and moved forward with the truth and chose to  let the light shine on it.  In the same week I was told by someone I value that  I was  just not competent  … not able… to do something significant. I got defensive, but inside I believed it was true to the core. I had to wrestle the devil head on with that one. The grip on me was penetrating.  Tonight my heart just aches as a parent because I feel like such a failure… staying true to our foundations is so painfully awkward and almost embarrassing. The enemy got in my head again… whispering how dare I teach women how to parent each week when I have no idea what I’m doing. He told m